Sunday, December 16, 2007

Tournament #2 - RECAP

The scene couldn't be better for the SMFL's 2nd tournament of the year. The league is still disgruntled about Team 4's dominance during the last tournament and many players have vowed that it will not happen for a second time.

"I've spent some time studying film...I know what Romo Farrellio's tendencies are and if we can make "The Rocket" a non factor, then they are toast." - Unnamed member of Team 2

In the interest of promoting league competition and rivalry, the #1 Tournament teams were maintained for Tournament #2. A solid attendance of 17 players helped kick this tournament off with high anticipation and excitement! Peg Leg couldn't help but let his mouth run wild before the game:

"Oh I have been waiting for this moment for the last 6 weeks. Just can't wait to get another shot at Team 4! Defending Champs?! HA - they would be lucky to defend my jock strap - Rocket and Romo won't know what hit them - its going to be PRIMETIME all over this field - WOOOOOOOOOH!"

Rather abrasive comments from one of the leagues leadership members but hopefully he can back it up with some solid play. One player who is all about solid play came out of hibernation for this tournament week; Big Game Hunter had not been seen for near a month, yet it was evident he had been keeping to his own off the field workout schedule, grinding away for his teams chance at redemption!

"I've had Team 4's victory celebration stuck in my head for weeks... i'm just itching at the chance for redemption and exercise these horrific visions that haunt me in my sleep! I can't stand seeing Romo's ugly mug running in slow motion in my head anymore... IT ENDS TODAY!"
The teams and their Tournament #2 records shake out as follows:

Team 1 (1-2)
Favre
Papi
Jagt
Boss Haas
Zephry

Team 2 (1-2)
Peg Leg
Rhino
D-Newb
Baylor David

Team 3 (2-1)
Big Game Hunter
General Josh
L1-R2 RB
Brian

Team 4 (3-0) CHAMPIONS (BACK TO BACK - REPEAT CHAMPS!)
Romo
Rocket
Chris
Iman the Quick

Although this tournament was once again owned by Romo’s team, it is only fair to say it should be seen as a tainted title. At least according to Favre:

“I don’t mean to take away credit from Romo’s team…actually, that’s precisely what I’m trying to do…but our whole team was injured after the first game. That drastically affected the outcome of the day.

First I go down from a vicious and intentional act by the Reistman, then Holland breaks a finger, then Schremmer re-aggravated his turf toe, then my replacement Zephyr strains his quadriceps, then the Boss Haas breaks his finger. You saw what our team was capable of at full strength when we won our first game, so I have no doubt that we could have won them all had we stayed healthy.”


If Tourny #1 wasn't proof enough for the league in showing which team is the most dominate, Tourny #2 definitely silenced the doubters. Many players have begun to doubt the integrity of the team selecting, many want an true draft format for the next Tourny, whilst others are clamoring about a set time limit for each game in the tourney format... what will be done in the future is still in the hands of the Competition Committee, but one thing has been determined this Tournament weekend: Team 4 is the most dominate team in SMFL history!

It will be a long winter for Teams 1, 2 and 3 - February and Tournament Weekend #3 is still weeks away.

For the latest report on Jagt Holland after his possible season ending injury, lets go direct to the source:

"Last week I sacrificed my ring finger (the fiancée wasn't happy about my choice of finger) while making a diving catch in the end zone. I told the doctor, "Just cut it off, who needs a ring finger to catch a football, besides my pinky is more than capable of taking over for my ring finger!" I don't think he understood we are in the middle of the SMFL season. Tomorrow morning I will be going under knife against my wishes to have a few pins put in my finger. Hopefully I will be back on the field in a couple weeks."

The league has been plagued with many injuries over the last few weeks. Here is the injury report heading into week 9:

Jagt Holland: Broken Finger (50%)

Favre: Right ankle contusion and Right Shoulder (70%)

Baylor David: Broken Finger (85%)

Brock Mulder: Broken Finger (40%)

D-Riddle - Plantar Facitis - 50%

Papi - Turf Toe - 88%

Peg Leg - Ankle - 91%

Rhino - Lower Leg/Lower Back - 93%

Zephry - Quad - 86%

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ummm, back off Commish! I demand a recount. While team three did get dominated in game one of the tourney, we came back very strong and dominated in game two. Going in to the final game we felt good, confident, but not cocky. It was a very close game with Team 2 and Team 3 battling back and forth. But in the end team 3 prevailed to make itself 2-1 on the day, not 1-2. No hanging chads...we were 2-1, not kidding. I accept your apology on behalf of the rest of my teammates, and the lawsuit for defamation will be in your mailbox by the end of this week. My usual lawyer, T-Dar, will be sending it over. Thank you and goodnight.

Commish said...

My apologies. With fear of T-Dar's representation abilities, I have updated the record to indicate a 2-1 record for Team 3.